How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
I usually come up with a title or a bit of a story, then exaggerate from there.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Lyrics – they could be meaningful, or ridiculous. Ya gotta either laugh, cry, or think. Of course the song has to be catchy, too. My favorite songs are packed with hooks & harmonies.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Not really scared. You should be prepared to show some skin if you’re gonna write something personal. Or else don’t write it – just think it. I may not admit it’s about me, though. That’s the easy out.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
I Thought You Said That You Were Gonna Kill Yourself
Let’s talk about your new album “Come Spy With Me”, is there a link/common theme among all its songs?
I kind of just went with the idea of having different guests on the record. That could be a thread. But maybe it’s more of a collection of songs. I’m really happy with it, and hope people dig it!
What inspired “Happy Birthday Middle Child”?
I always thought there should be more birthday songs, and realized that “the forgotten middle child” should have their own.
And “I’m Satisfied”?
I didn’t write that one. It’s a cover of a song by ’70s girl band – Fanny – that we used to play in my old band – the Friggs. I always loved playing it, and thought it would be cool to give it the T. Rex treatment.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Tragedy Ann”?
I do remember writing that with Friggs songwriting pal – Jezebel. We were sitting in my living room playing guitars and joking about people who are grouchy for no reason. There will always be people like that stomping around.
What are your plans for the upcoming months?
I just got done a tour on the west coast, and have one more gig this year at Cafe Nine in New Haven, CT on Dec 8. I’m gonna spend the winter working on some music and on the radio show. And of course, hanging with my pooch!
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your album “Come Spy With Me”: Diverse & fun.
- The best show you ever played: It’s all a blur.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Water & ice.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Rolling Stones, the Monkees, Sly & the Family Stone.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Oh man… This is impossible to answer! Maybe a Kinks song? Dylan? The Kids Are Alright? Jolene? Arthur Alexander? I could go on forever.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Be kind to each other, and show your partner your best – not your worst. Most important – laugh.