How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
I usually break down the track to a few chord progressions, and adlib over for melodies and then go back pick out my favourite melody and freestyle over it. I like to write according to how the song is making me feel in the moment. a vibe.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
No, I believe we heal by sharing our stories. If I can help someone out by sharing my personal experience, great. I live for it.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
It’s hard to say, I write about what i’m going through. It’s all meaningful.
What inspired “Skinny Dip”, your latest single?
It was co written with Andy Tongren, we wanted to create a fun summer track with also a raw presence in the Verses. Showing vulnerability with relationships in correlation to the vulnerability of skinny dipping.. for instance “I stand here naked on my own, it’s easier sometimes to be somebody you don’t know.. so who’s the stranger in your clothes.. I want to know each detail of the freckles on your nose” Digging deeper than just the material presence, really getting to know someone.
Is there a link/a common theme among the songs of the new upcoming album?
The EP is “Darker Dreams” most of these tracks were written after a bad break up– I guess you could say that’s a theme. A break up which led me back to myself. Getting to re know the girl I was before this relationship and she’s fucking awesome 😉
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
Neyo gave me a piece of advice at back when I was living in LA, he told me the write the hook with the least amount of words: “The less the better. Focus on the melody.”
What are your plans for the upcoming months?
Release Skinny Dip, and building our fan base online.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your new song “Skinny Dip”: Juicy.
- The best show you ever played: House of Blues, on Sunset Strip: Last show before it closed down.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Water and or a beer, either does the trick.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Third eye blind “Semi Charmed Life.”
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: “There’s no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this i’ve come to know.”
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: “Run while you can!” Jokin’! I’m still trying to figure it out, don’t ask me.