How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Usually while writing the song some key phrases will come out naturally just laying down some nonsense vocals to write the melody… from here I’ll kind of try and decide on a compelling direction for the song. Sometimes I won’t even know what I’m writing about till I get to the end and then I’ll go back and amend it a bit.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Not editing while you are writing. If you are editing what you’re saying while working on it you’re not actually writing. You have to find that subconscious flow… let it all out and edit it later.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
All the time… so in those cases I will use imagery. But the thing is once I get things out I will feel so much more complete so it’s ok.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
Oh wow… I’m not really sure. Each song has a moment that makes me say… yes… that is the purpose of this entire song.. .a phrase that balances it all.
What inspired “Don’t Wake Me Up”, your latest single?
It’s about the super powers you feel when you fall in love… how all of a sudden you can do absolutely anything. Nothing can stop you. The song is about keeping that feeling alive and bringing that energy into all aspects of your life.
And “Come On”, part of your album “Give It Meaning”?
Come on is a dialogue about self doubt… this is a revealing song for sure, but ultimately everything I write has to have a positive angle to it. I believe strongly that the energy you choose to create is what you are guided by.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Slow Down”?
I do… I was with my good friend and fellow producer Cooper Anderson. We wrote that one together… he was in a studio where the walls didn’t actually touch the roof so the people in the offices around us could hear it all. I remember after laying the chorus vocals hearing someone singing it a few offices down… that was a good sign.
When you will release a new album?
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
Get to the point… make it interesting and put your heart into it.
What are your plans for 2019?
We will release a few more singles and videos then our new full length! also will be hitting the road for our first tour!
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your latest single “Don’t Wake Me Up”: Epic.
- The best show you ever played: Headlining Bowery Ballroom this year.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: A quiet place to get focused.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Prince, Motley Crue and Michael Jackson.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Maybe John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: No one is perfect. Find someone who you can be yourself with and who is loyal and loving to you. If it doesn’t feel right it isn’t, embrace change and being alone. Learn to be alone so you’ll never be needy, always keep an open mind and heart. Love is not fixing someone… everything you crave in someone else are things you allow yourself to feel. Love yourself and you will be able to truly love someone else.