Opening up the vault and revisiting a series of historic UK broadcast performances, five-time GRAMMY® Award-winning band Green Day proudly present BBC Sessions live albumavailable everywhere today. The 16-track collection features four seminal performances recorded at BBC’s legendary Maida Vale Studios from 1994, 1996, 1998, and 2001 together on one album, marking the first time these recordings have been mastered for official release. The live album includes “2000 Light Years Away,” the lead track off of the band’s sophomore album ‘Kerplunk’ which celebrates its 30th Anniversary on December 17th.
Four months after dropping ‘Dookie’ upon an unsuspecting world, Green Day entered the hallowed halls of BBC’s Maida Vale Studios on June 8, 1994 and ripped through a raucous and raw four-song set: “She,” “When I Come Around,” “Basket Case,” and “2000 Light Years Away.” It captured the band on the precipice of their worldwide explosion. That day, they even took advantage of the free studio time—much like forbearers in the seventies and eighties—and even discovered the title of Insomniac’s eventual opener in the loo, “Armatage Shanks.” They returned to the BBC during 1996 in support of that album, turning up with “Brain Stew/Jaded” and “Walking Contradiction.” Two years later, they snuck an F-bomb into a hyper-charged “Nice Guys Finish Last” in the midst of the Nimrod era. Finally, they capped off summer 2001 with four Warning anthems such as “Church On Sunday.” It’s all on BBC Sessions.
BBC Sessions is available on CD, digital, and limited-edition 2LP vinyl configurations, including Sea Blue/Hot Pink vinyl for the band’s official store and Milky Clear Color vinyl for indie retailers. It’s complete with liner notes by Steve Lamacq Host of Radio 1’s legendary Evening Show (who was there at each session!).
Fresh off The US Hella Mega tour, the most attended tour of 2021, the band will play festivals Shaky Knees and Innings in 2022 followed by the final leg The Hella Mega tour UKand Europe next Spring. Click HERE for the full list of dates.
1. She (Live at the BBC June 8 1994)
2. When I Come Around (Live at the BBC June 8 1994)
3. Basket Case (Live at the BBC June 8 1994)
4. 2000 Light Years Away (Live at the BBC June 8 1994)
5. Geek Stink Breath (Live at the BBC November 3 1996)
6. Brain Stew/Jaded (Live at the BBC November 3 1996)
7. Walking Contradiction (Live at the BBC November 3 1996)
8. Stuck With Me (Live at the BBC November 3 1996)
9. Hitchin’ A Ride (Live at the BBC February 12 1998)
10. Nice Guys Finish Last (Live at the BBC February 12 1998)
11. Prosthetic Head (Live at the BBC February 12 1998)
12. Redundant (Live at the BBC February 12 1998)
13. Castaway (Live at the BBC August 28 2001)
14. Church On Sunday (Live at the BBC August 28 2001)