How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Inebriated, but not too blasted.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Honesty and compassion. I know that sounds a little clichéd but you find yourself lying at the end of that pen, it’s going to show.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
You know, I probably should be but then again, people are going to find out one way or another.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
Best I have ever written? I can’t say for sure, but the most meaningful would be “The great pretender replaying this bender, you’re least favorite age, your fears, your mistakes, your faults.” Obviously, I’m not my own biggest fan.
What inspired “Self Amusing Smile”, part of your latest album “Grow Up Trash”?
Salt Lake City, Utah is a problematic place. It is one of the highest rates of suicide and opiate abuse, our air is unbreathable and the church decides what is and what isn’t. My wife and I struggle to maintain our overall mental health here and I suppose I wanted to flesh that all out in a song, somehow.
Is there a link/a common theme among the songs of the new album?
I wouldn’t say intentionally but there is an underlying theme of making the best out of inconceivable misery.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
Keep a steady buzz. You sound more natural that way.
What are your plans for 2019?
A fuck ton of shows, baby!
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your album “Grow up Trash”: Hopeless.
- The best show you ever played: I’m afraid I can’t remember the very best.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Cigarettes, booze is always a plus.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Anything Rancid did in the 90’s.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Black Me Out by Against Me! Is the first to come to mind.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Haha no, you really don’t.