How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
It’s different all the time, but mostly I write melody first and the ideas just falls into place after that.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
I’m actually a huge believer that there is no right and wrong with songwriting. Depends on the style of writing and what the artist brings to the music that really captivates me. If I could say any more it would be that I always strive for everything to flow together like one perfect string of words and melody combined.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Yes. I try not to reveal the subject of my songs but it is hard to dance around it sometimes. Everything I write is so personal but I hope that it relates to people in some way.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
Hmmm… too hard basket! That’s not a lyric, just have no idea haha. I can tell you one of them that comes to mind, It’s a song called ‘No Impersonator’ written by myself and Like Bear. It’s a song about dealing with this huge crazy music industry and being an introverted person in a world where you must pop on that extroverted cap time and time again. This sometimes makes you feel a lot like an imposter – or an impersonator!
all i want to know
so i can skip the show and head home
said pour me one more but i’m feeling insecure and alone
History was supposed to be the last song I ever wrote about a situation but I’ve written like 5 more songs about the same topic, trying to unravel it a bit more and understand why I can’t let it all go. It plays around with the ideas of a guaranteed love now proven to be condition. It’s really about me coming to terms with heartbreak and hardship, letting it go and not giving a fuck what my next move will be – I’ve had enough of being treated like shit! haha I’ve never described it that way before – so to the point, sorry!
but it feels so much better
how’m i ever gonna do this
but it feels so much better
if we make believe it’s true my dear
now i’m beginning to notice that there’s one too many of us
- Define in one word your song “History”: Acquiescent.
- The best show you ever played: Hmmm, not sure. But my most memorable gig would be History launch recently. Had so many special guests who blew the house down and it was really amazing to share the launch with other local artists instead of it being just about me. I’ve had so many requests for us to make this a regular show, so hopefully that’s something I can put my energy into in the near future.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Hot Toddie. To calm the nerves and clear the throat!
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Alanis Morissette – “Jagged Little Pill”.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: This changes all the time. Manhattan, Sara Bareilles always pulls at the heartstrings.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Floordrobes are not ok. I’m very messy, learn from my mistakes.