How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Usually when we’re in the studio we sing melodies over a track. Then we sort of start to mumble words in and random lyrics over those melodies. That’s usually how we get started! The lyrics just come naturally and whatever we’re feeling that day is what we write!
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
The most important thing to us is staying true to who we are. We don’t wanna write songs that we can’t relate to. And we want other people to be able to relate to our problems and what’s going on in our life.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
I think when we were younger we used to be afraid of this. But now that we’ve gotten older and more mature were really comfortable talking about anything. We’re pretty much an open book nowadays!
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
There’s a lyric in a song I (Sydney) wrote a few months ago that goes “can’t fit into the clothes I wore when I wasn’t eating”, and while it’s a lyric we didn’t end up using , it was a lyric that helped me get out some emotion from a dark place I was in last year.
What inspired “Holy Hell”, your new single?
“Holy Hell” was inspired by a late night session and a whole lot of frustration towards our work situation. We weren’t happy and we were trying our best to hide it. That night is when we were at holy hell and we didn’t even realize what it was about until we heard it the next day.
Are you working on the release of new songs? Maybe a new EP?
Yes! We have so many songs lined up for you guys to hear. We’re so excited we can’t wait. First we were planning on doing any P but now I think it’s turning into an album!
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
To be honest. We used to go along with anything and everything so that we could please our label and whoever we were in a session with. To be afraid to speak up if we did or didn’t like something. But now we’re super vocal about what we want to create.
What are your plans for the upcoming months?
We plan on playing more shows and releasing more music! It’s on and upwards from here!
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your song “Holy Hell”: Triumphant.
- The best show you ever played: The first time we played the Sayers club in Hollywood. That night was the start of something great. Well it might not have been the biggest show ever played, it was one will never forget.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Lots of extra ginger and throatcoat tea.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: “C’mon C’mon” album by Sheryl Crow. The only CD our mom owned.
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: There are too many songs we’re lyrically jealous of… but one of them is “Like A Stone” by Chris Cornell.
- Last question is “unusual,” we want to know your best relationship advice: Always put yourself first. It might seem selfish, but it’s not. You need to learn to love yourself before you can love anyone else.