How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Not always, but often I get really curious about or frustrated with something and then rant about it in my notebook or the notes app on my phone, and find the most powerful phrases that come out of that and then fit them into the melody and syllables in a song I’m writing.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Yes, but I do it anyway. Honesty is powerful.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
Hmm that’s a very tough question, but I think one of my favorites is a line from the song “If, Then” from our first record Whatever That Means. I say “If you’re hearing this song, then I’m something. If you’re singing along, then that’s something. If you’re crying like I am, I guess that’s something. And I’m not the only one who feels like nothing.” It’s about music connecting people and sometimes even saving them.
What inspired “Hoax” from of your latest album “I Never Wanted Company”?
It was inspired by wanting to spark a fire in myself. I wanted to remind myself that no one is coming to save me or do anything for me in this life. Help is always welcomed and appreciated, don’t get me wrong. But I can’t expect the world to hand me anything. It’s also a call to independence for anyone who wants it!
Is there a link/a common theme among the songs of the new album?
Yes, definitely. I think the entire album walks a thin line between loneliness and independence. There are many harsh truths in the lyrics and a lot of struggle with codependency and insecurity, but ultimately all to bring more self-love.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
To watch the Metallica documentary ‘Some Kind of Monster’.
What are your plans for 2019?
Well, the record comes out June 14th and then we’re gonna tour all over the U.S.A. this summer! Hopefully in the fall as well!
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your album “I Never Wanted Company”: Candid.
- The best show you ever played: Opening for Slothrust at The Echo in LA.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Water and a mirror!
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Spice Girls, Alanis Morissette, No Doubt, and so much more.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Can’t pick just one favorite because there are SO many (I’m very big on lyrics), but I’ll mention two that stand out to me, one a bit older and one slightly newer – “All Apologies” by Nirvana and “Rope’s Length” by Pile.
- Last question is “unusual”, but we want to know your best relationship advice: Communicate about everything and make sure you have your own life independent of the relationship.