How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Every song is different. Every approach is different. Depends on the style of song, vibe and feeling it gives me instrumentally to arrange what I will be writing the lyrics about.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Having a good flow and structure of how the whole song is going to be arranged, if you have good lyrics but a poor instrumental structure it’s not a good match. You need equal structure for instrumental and melody and lyrics.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
I barely write music about my own life. I can add some things that happened or are going on within my life but I never wrote a song truly about myself. It’s more about what others may go through, or a topic I’d like to shed some light on within a song.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
That’s not up to me to answer. I think the best lyrics I wrote are lyrics that speak to people and can heal people emotionally. If someone can feel better, happy or get goose bumps from my music or lyrics I would say, that’s my best lyrics.
What inspired the band’s latest single “I Promise This”?
‘I Promise This‘ is a song that has been rewritten several times to what it is today. We all enjoyed the melody and lyrics of the chorus and kept that the same throughout the changes. But the verses melodically and vocally are totally different than it’s original draft. I promise this version one sounds completely different than its final product. We all as a band enjoyed the track and wanted to work on it to make it the best it could of been.
Is there a new EP or any new songs in the works?
Yes, we have a few more unreleased songs as well as a song titled “Home” featuring Tobias Rische vocalist of ALAZKA that we’re excited to come out with. No release date yet but expect more music sooner than later for sure!
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
Don’t settle for anything less than your most perfect takes, if you can vocally deliver a great performance keep trying over and over until you hit it the best way you can possible. He brought out the best in me and all of us in Radiate.
What are your plans for the upcoming months?
We have a headlining show September 8th at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn New York with some amazing New York bands to support the showcase, we’re currently in the works of partnership with a record label, so, more music, more videos and for sure… more tour!
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your new song “I Promise This:” Relationships.
- The best show you ever played: Probably at the Gramercy Theatre in January 2018, there were the biggest crowd we ever played for (450-450 people).
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Water!
- The soundtrack of your childhood: “Helena” by My Chemical Romance.
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: I think one song that resonates with me lyrically is The Great Hendowski written by Austin Carlie and Of Mice and Men.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: My advice would be to be truthful to yourself first. Be in a relationship for the right reasons, because you care and love that person. If you don’t feel those emotions you should move on. Be truthful to yourself and your partner. That creates a healthy and happy relationship.