How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Often the best songs feel like they come from somewhere else. You have to allow words to channel through you.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in song writing?
Being honest. It’s important to really believe what a song says. Nothing kills a song more than not believing the message.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Yes, it’s scary to reveal truths about yourself and your experiences. Sometimes I don’t even realise how I feel about something until a song makes me dig deeper to find the answer. I think being as honest as you can is the best way to connect with people.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
Radiant your glow, electric to the naked eye, you keep our spirits high, you’re here to serve and then you die.
What inspired “Love & Emotion”, your latest song?
When you love someone and they don’t return the feeling. Finally confronting your true emotions and being honest about what someone means to you.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Saint Cecilia”?
It was actually written over a few months in quite a few different places. The chorus was written in my room as I looked up to a picture of Saint Cecilia, the pre-chorus was written on the way to Max and Humphreys flat in Brighton, the bridge was written in London while we were dog sitting, and it all came together in Wales.
Are you currently working on the release of new songs? A new EP maybe?
Yes! We have just been recording with Catherine Marks. It was our favourite studio experience yet because she has such a great energy. There are more songs coming soon.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
There was an overriding sense of not overthinking things. We focussed more on capturing a great performance and less on scrutinising our playing.
What are your plans for 2019?
We’ll be releasing some more music and going on a huge UK tour in sept/oct.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your song “Love & Emotion”: Pain.
- The best show you ever played: A place called the Haldern Pop Bar in Haldern, Germany. A small bar packed out with some of the most energetic and interesting people we’ve met.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Houmous.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Heaven is a half-pipe – OPM.
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you:
– Chumbawumba – ‘Tubthumping’
– Don Mclean – ‘Vinncent’.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Spend time on your independent life alongside your relationship, both those things need to flourish for a relationship to work. Be honest, be open, be loving.