How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Perspective and experience through stories. I really don’t think of concepts, I just see what comes.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
A story, no ego, good musicians and producers to make the story a movie.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience during the writing process to strangers through your music?
That’s why you just have to kill your ego. Remember you’re human, there’s a collective consciousness between us. So when that wave comes over you and you catch a flow, just write from that true place, where the words and melodies come easy, and it makes you feel something. That’s gonna resonate with someone.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
That’s so hard for me to choose… a song on the album called I am my own was really therapeutic for me to write… and it’s going to be a single, so you’ll hear it very soon 🙂
What inspired “Love, Herself”, your latest single?
That energy within and around us all that makes us love. I love, love.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Magic”?
Yes I do actually, it was in my old living room during the first month I moved to LA. I wrote a terrible song right before I wrote it, I didn’t want to end the day without writing a song I liked and that’s how ‘Magic‘ happened.
When is a new album coming out?
A little later in the year, after I share a few more songs from it.
What is the best suggestion a producer gave you?
They only wanna help once you’ve already helped yourself… I don’t remember who told me that, but thank you.
What are your plans for 2019?
Finishing the album and creating content for it! Also currently putting together a new band and live show so I can play more shows!
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your latest single “Love, Herself”: Self-healing (kinda one word).
- The best show you ever played: Maybe my most recent show, it just felt really good to be back on stage!
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: A vibe.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Mariah Carey’s Christmas album reminds me of childhood for some reason lol.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Way way too many to choose one. Right now, James Blake’s latest project is my favorite thing lyrically this year.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Do you see yourself building a life and growing old with them?