How do you usually write the lyrics for your songs?
When I’m at my piano or listening to a track in a studio, I start by singing melodies. Those melodies form into words and then I make a story out of it!
In your opinion, what is the most important aspect in songwriting?
I think the most important aspect of songwriting is making sure the song is relatable. That’s my main goal when I’m writing. I want people to be able to interpret the song how they want to.
Are you ever afraid of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
I wouldn’t say I’m afraid to. I feel like I try to put my heart on the table with my music and I hope listeners can appreciate that.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
In my song “Boy With The Balloon”, I wrote the line “I went up to the boy with the big balloon and I said I just wanna fly with you”. This is referring to someone who has passed away and you just wanting to be with them.
What inspired “Mad Man”, your latest single?
“Mad Man” wasn’t inspired by one specific person, because I wrote it so that the mad man I talk about in the song could be a significant other, parent, friend, or anyone else in one’s life who is dragging them down.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Manners”?
Yes I do! The producer, co-writer, and I were out at dinner and starting talking about the concept of “Manners” then began humming the chorus melody on our walk back to the studio!
Are you currently working on a new album?
I’m working on a bunch of new music coming very soon!
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
He suggested that I run with the religious imagery in “Mad Man”! I love how that turned out.
What are your plans for 2019?
To continue to write, put out music, and connect with my supporters!
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your song “Mad Man”: Tenebrous.
- The best show you ever played: The Portland show opening up for Aly & AJ on their Sanctuary Tour. So much energy from the crowd!
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Hot green tea!
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Sk8ter Boi- Avril Lavigne.
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Vincent- James Blake version.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Always respect each other!! Start with a strong foundation and friendship so you can get through anything.