How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
I’m constantly thinking of things that are close to my heart and experiences that I go through, I need to express myself through my songs. I sing the melody to the instrumental first and then I lay down lyrics that fit within that.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
I think just expressing yourself and being as authentic and open as possible.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Yes. I’m a very introverted person to begin with even with the closest people around me, so expressing that level of emotion in a song leaves me feeling vulnerable. But I put that aside for the sake of my music.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
“I just feel this pain, the times I hear your name” It’s from a song not released yet but that always hit me a certain way…
What inspired “Nobody”, your latest single?
I didn’t write the song, but the production was something I was really involved in. The tension in the instrumental was a reflection of the tension I felt in my relationship.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Fast Car”?
All I remember from when I wrote ‘Fast Car’ was when I made the first version of ‘Fast Car.’ I actually wrote something completely different, but wasn’t nearly as good. I sent it to Cxstle Cvstle who was on the song. He told me it was trash and then I came back and wrote the original version, I came back hard.
Are you working on new songs? Maybe a new EP/album soon?
During the process of writing ‘Nobody‘ I spent the time writing about 20 other songs during a year span. I’ll be dropping singles throughout the year.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
Telling me to trust the process in production, as I would always want to make minor changes to things early.
What are your plans for 2019?
Put out new songs, touring live shows, I just want to get my message out there through my Music.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your new song “Nobody:” Feeling.
- The best show you ever played: My first headline show at the lowbrow palace in El Paso.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Whiskey.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: ‘Gossip Folks’ by Missy Elliott.
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: ‘Man In The Mirror’ by Michael Jackson.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Don’t waste your time being with someone you don’t care about or love. Life is too short and you’re wasting each other’s time for no reason.