How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Jeff tends to let us write our own parts then after all that, he sits down with his acoustic guitar and writes out some lovely lyrics.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
That the name of the song is in the song. Also, That you love what you’re playing it has to flows naturally. I find that forced songs sound bad or lead nowhere.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Sometimes it’s hard to be “heart on your sleeve” but at the same time you want to help as many people as you can that are going through the same thing you are. we need to break this stigma we have that you need to hide your feelings and always have to be happy. No one’s perfect and everyone eventually needs help.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
There’s a lot of great one-liners and zingers, but each band member has their own favourite:
Jeff: ALL OF MY LYRICS!!!
Jason: “I have to deal with myself when there’s no one’s around.”
Ryan: “Just Start Fuckin”
Thomas: “I wrote another stupid love song no one ever got.”
What inspired “Ashley Madison” part of your latest album “On The Other Side of Fear”?
The main theme of the song is Infidelity and how something so disrespectful (at least to the media) has become so mainstream and its almost become as easy as signing up to Facebook.
And “On The Other Side of Fear”?
The album is about pissing it all away. That’s pretty much what you do when you “fall in love”. You eventually start second-guessing your actions and a future with your spouse/lover and that you’re likely to lose that spark you had, That’s if it was even there in the first place. Our population is at an all-time high with fear, Depression, Anxiety, and a constant need for validation from others. we’re constantly comparing our lives with a morbid sense of entitlement. We need to let go of exterior validation with this constant fear of rejection and learn to dig deep within ourselves and find acceptance and peace. You have to love yourself first and foremost, the overflow will take care of everyone else around you.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Dad Core”?
This was written about a week after Jeff’s father had passed away from a heart attack. Jeff was slaying some bitches when he had a sudden urge to stop the spread of his seed, and write a heartfelt message to his father from deepest part of his soul. To be completely honest we can barely remember what we had for dinner last night nevermind the exact day we wrote a song.
Is there a link/a common theme among the songs of the new album?
We would like to thank Dashboard Confessional for the adolescent inspiration that It drove into our uncertain little hearts for this recent album. Probably a lot more than it should have. The entire album is one big common theme.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
Our producer gave us some pretty sweet leads and add-ins for the new album, and that better than any suggestion he could have given us.
What are your plans for 2019?
For the next month, we’re going to try and play a few shows and hopefully end 2019 in a bang. for 2020, We’re going to try and start recording a few singles and put out the full album hopefully July-August. We also want to start planning a cross Canada tour and maybe play a few shows in Europe.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your album “On The Other Side of Fear”: AMAZING!!
- The best show you ever played: The show we played with Ten Foot Pole”. they’re such an amazing band and they had such amazing fans. we had such a blast.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Our gear! We 100% need our gear lol. I guess beer and friends, those are the staples to a great show.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Big Shiny Tunes 2.
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Jason: “You take my silences and make them less alone, A fresh coat of paint inside my coffin so it feels like home, I know I’m not enough, out on my own, No, I’m not enough”- “As It Is” / Jeff: “Oh, it’s so hot, and I need some air. And boy, don’t stop ’cause I’m halfway there. It’s not complicated, we’re just syncopated. We can read each other’s minds.” – Britney Spears. / Ryan: “My Dad is dead, boys.” / Thomas: “And when all else fails, Be a grown-up and accept the blame. Hey, it may get you one last bang!”
- Last question is “unusual,” we want to know your best relationship advice: Jason: “Choose your battles. Don’t fight for something you don’t care about, but fight as hard as you can for something you love!” / Jeff: “Never wear a rubber!” / Ryan: “Just Start Fuckin’, gain that good dxxk control. Don’t want to cxx too fast. Girls stick around when they get a good dixxing…..Guys too” / Thomas: “Be spontaneous: Poop in the bedsheets. Or, if you’re nice to her, she’ll find you boring. If you’re a bastard, she’ll dump you. I don’t know the answer to this. Or, if you talk about exes make sure that your partner realizes that they (your EX) were related to Quasimodo! Or, treat your girl like Cinderella, buy her a pumpkin and tell her it’s a horse and carriage.”