How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
Usually from self-reflecting and try to keep the lyrics on a personal side.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
To me, melody and lyricism are the most important. I’ve heard beautiful lyrics sung horribly and miserable lyrics sang beautifully.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Always. It comes naturally to me though and serves as my most sincere form of communication. I don’t want to die and be forgotten, this way I have a shot of being remembered.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
Undetermined, failure burdened by the womb
Forced into this world by someone on the move.
What inspired “Lose Your Way”, part of your latest album “Paradise”?
Most people are lost in life… comparing themselves to what they see on television or the internet. I wanted to write about how easy it is to forget that YOU, the master of your destiny, can control all aspects of your future.
And “Tunnel Vision”?
Tunnel vision is about being manipulated be smooth talking sergeants that want to suffocate you.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Coffee Talk”?
I do, I fell madly in love with a girl over coffee and 10 days later we demoed out that song.
The Vans Warped Tour just ended after 24 years…we would like you to share with us your best memory of this important festival.
Playing main stage in Las Vegas. It was literal proof that if you work hard, Warped Tour will reward hungry bands with opportunities.
In your opinion, how did The Warped contribute to the growth of punk/rock music scene in USA?
It is the ONLY festival that is/was punk rock. No time for complaining artists or creeps. Kevin created something out of the reflection of himself. Kevin IS punk.
What are your plans for 2018?
We just announced a fall/winter tour with WITH CONFIDENCE and will be spending the rest of the time writing and recording our third album.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your album “Paradise”: A library in my house with a 4 cup French press and an open window overlooking my garden.
- The best show you ever played: They’re all so vastly different it’s hard to say at this point in my career.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: A private bathroom.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Tarzan soundtrack – Phil Collins.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: “No Lies, Just Love” – Bright Eyes.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Think about how the other person would feel before you say or act on it in an argument. If you love this person and can imagine them hurting from something you said out of rage or quick response… it should hurt you and stop you from doing it in the first place.