How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
I usually come up with one line when I’m out walking or driving or something. Then I usually play some chords on guitar and sing that one line until I come up with the rest. I guess, I kind of just say words until the right ones come out.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Honesty. No one cares if you’re clever or if you know how to do words good if you aren’t honest.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
I don’t think I’ve ever been scared of what strangers might think. I don’t know them, so why would it matter. I’ve been more concerned with what people I know might think of me.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
I don’t know if I’ve written it yet. I’ve written a lot of lyrics.
What inspired “Cool Bands”, part of your upcoming album “Perfectly Temporary”?
I think, maybe, jealousy and pride. I wanted so bad to be like all of my friends but I was so proud of all of them and wanted to write something for them.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Beach Time”?
Yeah, I remember writing the first verse when I got home from a cross country road trip and Max helped write the hook and we worked out the second verse together. It was one of the more fun experiences I’ve ever had writing with someone else.
Is there a link/a common theme among the songs of the new album?
I think loss, probably. A lot of my songs deal with some kind of loss. Memories of the past, maybe.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
Both Ace and Nik told me on separate occasions that all I need to worry about is writing songs and singing them. It made me really focus on my voice and I started to care about it and take care of it.
What are your plans for 2019?
I think, I might get a job. One with a stable paycheck and good hours. Maybe it’ll be a good union job. I’m not sure. But I’m excited.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your album “Perfectly Temporary”: Steadfast.
- The best show you ever played: I think our most recent show at The Bowery Electric was our best. The energy that night was amazing.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Water, probably.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Saves the Day, Through Being Cool.
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Hindsight by The Long Winters.
- Last question is “unusual,” we want to know your best relationship advice: I think the most important thing to remember is to be your own person. A relationship only ever works when there are two whole people involved. A lot of people think someone else can “complete” them, or their partner is a “puzzle piece”. That’s something that took me a long time to understand.