How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
We usually write the lyrics last when song writing. So we come up with a concept and try to think of lyrics that people will relate to.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Being true to yourself while also doing something different that others can enjoy.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Oh yeah. 100%. It’s always very scary.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
I’m not sure. I like a lot of our lyrics. “I’m just scared I won’t be famous” is a good one. People always take a second and question that line and what it means and I like that.
What inspired “Dirty Money”?
We wanted to write a song about egos. It actually has nothing to do with actual money. Just about being in a band and managing ones ego.
And “Happy Pills”?
‘Happy Pills‘ is kind of a social commentary on habits. Trying to break bad habits and have a healthier mind.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Problems”?
I do, yes. Really fun day. The song came naturally. Fun fact, the verses are actually the first ever scratch vocal take I did for the demo. I just recorded it on a little mic in our producers control room. And that was it. Was never able to beat it.
Are you currently planning the release of a new album?
We are planning the release of some new music but not in the form of an album.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
He’s given us a lot. Musically, he just really helped us grow. Taught us lots of new things. But he gave us a piece of advice for when we tour which was to not judge each other on our past habits. The band and I are pretty young and have known each other through high school. So we’ve all seen each other go through lots of phases and just grow up. And so it can be easy to judge people based off of old habits.
What are your plans for the upcoming months?
Touring with Badflower in the fall. First date is in Chicago Sep 29. And some new music coming very very soon.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your new song “ Problems”: Crazy.
- The best show you ever played: Chicago at the Aragon Ballroom with Cage The Elephant or Headlining the Roxy or playing with Palaye Royale at the Fonda.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Water water water.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Beach Boys probably. Definitely a lot more but that was the first to come to mind.
- Your favourite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: Way too hard to narrow down. Good question though.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Honesty, straight forward, and being open minded is so crucial. Those are my top 3.