How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
My lyrics are usually written during practice,it really helps with my creative flow and vocal patterns. The main ideas behind my lyrics are jotted down whenever inspiration hits me, so basically I have a thousand pieces of paper all over the house and in my pockets with ideas jotted down.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
The most important thing is to write music that you love, because if you don’t like your own tunes, you can’t expect someone else to either, be true to your craft.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
No not at all, I just deliver my music in a metaphorical way, so the fans can interpret it the way that it motivates them.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
“Landscapes where tear gas drapes where only the dead are fertile, mindscapes of drooling apes and overhead a black hole… neverending all consuming swallowed into black!” This lyric touches on the current status of the world, overpolluted everyone hypnotized by modern technology, distracted from their impending doom.
What inspired ‘Skinwalker’?
The title track “Skinwalker” from our upcoming “Skinwalker” album was inspired by Native American lore of medicine men or witches that can shapeshift into wolves and other animals. Its about shedding ones human skin and releasing you feral beast within.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Skinwalker”?
I actually wrote most of this one a few years back, it was a very dark period and I wanted to destroy everything around me.
Is there a link/a common theme among the songs of the new album?
All of these songs on breaking yourself down and analyzing every molecule of your being. And exposing you inner darkness, told through the eyes of someone becoming a Skinwalker.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
As of right now we are self producing this one, we just share our diverse musical knowledge’s and experiences with each other and yell “huh” a lot. Haha.
What are your plans for 2019?
2019 brings Shattered to the release of the Skinwalker album and a supporting U.S. Tour, and possibly some Canada dates.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your album “Skinwalker”: Intense!!!!
- The best show you ever played: Honestly I just love being on stage, any show where we get to play where the bands are old or new friends!
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Only thing I need backstage is COFFEE.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: My jams were “Warthog” by The Ramones and “Night of the living dead” by the Misfits. Those songs really got me pumped in my early years.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: My favorite song lyrically is “God Machine” by Acid bath. Dax really conveys disturbing emotion during this song, it reminds me a lot of Hell raiser, that song is absolutely killer.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Find someone who supports what you do and love. You need someone who is your rock and keeps you centered.