How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
I want the lyrics to be as authentic and natural as possible. So I try to mainly write about personal emotions and experiences I went /am going through. For example, I would take a note on how I feel while driving on Hollywood Boulevard. How people are taking pictures on themselves on the street full of names and how I feel about it. I would also write about my past experiences of my life. How I would say things differently if I rewind the time, or write about the times of me still having fun during the worst prom in high school year. I would write about birds chirping, I would write about palm trees shaking, I would write about my mom and dad’s smile… etc. Something you see and feel daily. I love capturing those little moments with my words.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
The song has to resonate with the artist. We can always write a great melody with perfect lyrics that fits to the song. However, if it doesn’t resonate with the artist, I don’t think there’s any point. To me it would be a beautiful flower without scent. I think heart comes before “cool melodies”. The artist has to be able to put love and heart into the song. I think writing with this concept is crucial for songwriting.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
I would’ve 1~2 years ago. Now I’m ready to share my stories I stored in my personal diary with the world. So the answer would be “not anymore”.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
Every lyric has their own meaning so I would not compare them. But there are two lines from two different songs that I wrote that came across my mind. They are “That’s who I am” & “Wise word given to me from the heart of the loveless”.
What inspired “Who I Am”, your latest single?
My personal experience of going through the times of myself dealing with my insecurities was my biggest inspiration.
Also my personal experience of going through the times of myself being so tired of everything and wanting to have some kind of getaway to figure things out.
Are you working on the release of a new album?
Yes. I already have a handful of songs stored in my archive ready to be released and am still writing more.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
Just be myself and have fun!
What are your plans for 2019?
Sharing more stories from my “personal diary”. More songs, more me.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your latest single “Who I Am”: Self-Empowerment.
- The best show you ever played: HighSchool-graduation. It wasn’t the best performance. However, it was the performance I felt the most peace in my heart.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Lol, Ice-Americano or Redbull!
The soundtrack of your childhood – Bach Prelude no.1.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking but not written by you: It constantly changes but right now maybe… “Dream a little dream of me” Doris Day version!
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Did you know that the day I’m writing to answer this question is my 5th anniversary of me being single? Well, I guess just meet somebody who loves you the way you are.