How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
I normally choose sounds and words that I think will fit along with the melody. I then form the full lyric around that. I very rarely write the lyrics first.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
I always have been yes. Until I released ‘Whole Of Me’ that’s the most raw song I’ve ever released. I was scared at first as I thought it might be too personal but I hope it can relate to others.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
I still think the entire lyrics to ‘Whole Of Me’ are the best. It’s the first song I’ve written where every line is extremely important and personal.
What inspired “Yesterday”, your latest single?
I was seeing someone who I really liked and wanted to be with. I knew pretty much the whole time that it was a waste of time and wasn’t going anywhere. I wrote this song when I finally said to myself that I could do better and move on.
‘Perfume’ is written about a point in a relationship where I knew it was no more than just friends, but didn’t want to end badly, as it was still a good friendship. It’s about the realisation of this.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Whole of Me”?
I do. I usually use songs as a form of closure for me. Everytime I write a song about a guy, the next day the feelings almost vanish. This song was about something that had been going on for a really long time and I poured my heart out into it.
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
To include as many real instruments as possible.
What are your plans for 2019?
More shows. more music. More surprises.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind: Eggs
- Define in one word your song “Whole of Me”: Sad 🙁
- The best show you ever played: My first headline show! I sold it out. That was this year on 2nd Feb. It was so fun.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: A pint of full fat milk. The best drink ever.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Miley Cyrus – ‘Breakout’.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: ‘The blur the line & the thickest of onions’ by little comets. Go read the lyrics you’ll be blown away.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: If you think something’s not right, it’s probably because somethings not right. Don’t let emotion cloud logic, self love and happiness are so important.