How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
It’s a combination of things really. Sometimes with my headphones on in various places, sometimes with my acoustic guitar or sitting at the piano, or driving in my car blasting whatever song it is. At first it’s usually a lot of mumbling words to form melodies, and sometimes a word just stands out.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
Making the listener feel something. A story is great by itself, but if the vocal melody and music don’t have the right feeling, it can easily be lost.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
No not really. Although it can be hard at times to be super vulnerable lyrically, I think people really relate to that. I think I’m always gonna be working on getting better at that.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
That’s a tough one, hmm… without overthinking it I’d say “a sunken wrecked relationship, don’t miss a lot but I miss you callin, callin. I was worn, a little torn, been battle born, yeah.” – “Irony” from our 2016 self titled EP.
What inspired “XO”?
It started from the intro guitar and drum beat. From there I knew the overall feeling I wanted for the song, I could picture where I wanted it to go. Lyrically “XO” is a song about losing love, and trying to cope with that. All the questions that run through your head during those times. It’s realizing that some things just come and go, and that’s okay.
Do you remember the day you wrote “Out of Body?
Yes. I remember finishing the home demo in my bedroom at the time and being so damn excited. That song just came out super easy and natural. I must have listened to it 100 times before really recording it, just picturing how it would turn out.
When you will release a new album?
Right now we’re just focused on releasing singles frequently, until it makes more sense for us to release an album. We can’t wait to do that though!
What is the best suggestion your producer gave you?
“Sell it.” Meaning, when you’re singing something, mean it, create a feeling and make people feel that. Same goes with when you’re playing the guitar, drums etc, the dynamics, it’s all super important.
What are your plans for 2019?
Much more music, more videos, and more shows for sure. We’re just trying to stay as busy as we can as a band and connect with the most people possible, so we’ll see where that takes us. We’re super excited for this year.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your latest song “XO”: Drivey.
- The best show you ever played: One of the best would be playing with Fitz and The Tantrums. Show was huge and they are an amazing live band. Very seasoned.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Cold beverages.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: The Rolling Stones.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: Ooh, that’s a curveball. I’d say honesty is a must, communication is key, both of those two go hand in hand really. Lastly, laugh and have fun! “You have to be able to have fun and not take yourself so serious.” – Neil Johnson.