How do you usually write the lyrics of your songs?
It really depends to be honest. Some songs start with me having just random lyrics that I’ve been sitting on and write around a melody I have in mind, where in some cases I write lyrics depending on the feel of the song being written. Content wise I write a lot about what is going on in my life now or in the past with low points and finding positive outlooks on shitty situations.
In your opinion, what is the most important thing in songwriting?
I feel the most important thing in songwriting is the vibe really. That “f##k yes” vibe needs to be in the studio that day and everyone needs to love it otherwise you are not going to get a great song, or later on a great performance of that song on stage.
Are you ever scared of revealing aspects of your personal life/experience to strangers through your music?
Kind of, sometimes. I really actually would only get scared of what my mom has to say since she is such a worry wort, especially with some of our much darker songs. Other than that I am an artist and writing lyrics and songs is truly my therapy, I am not too open with my personal life to people just saying hey man listen to how I’m feeling so music has always been that outlet for me to express myself and get some of this stuff off of my chest. It is a truly special thing when people actually connect with these words and open up that forum at a show for discussion.
What is the best lyric that you ever wrote (the most meaningful for you)?
The most meaningful lyric I’ve written for this project is “I need to let them in” from our single Faceless. It was talking to a part of my life where I was really at rock bottom and I finally started talking to my best friend Chris and my parents about all this shit that was going on inside my head and how I was physically and mentally abusing myself with alcohol abuse. Finding that person or group that actually truly care about your well being are worth bringing in and talking to to essentially help you in times of need.
What are your plans for 2019?
We are booking a couple tours right now and going into the studio this summer to finalize this album.
To conclude the interview a short Q/A session, please answer the first thing that comes to your mind:
- Define in one word your album “XYZ”: Honest.
- The best show you ever played: The best show I have ever played was actually our first show as Rozu. The feeling on that stage and the vibe and the crowd were literally the most perfect first show I have ever had, it was truly incredible.
- The one thing that you must have in your backstage: Room temp water and Throat Coat tea are an absolute must for me before and after shows.
- The soundtrack of your childhood: Linkin Park’s Hybrid Theory for sure.
- Your favorite song lyrically speaking, but not written by you: In Regards to Myself by Underoath. Just like how I write my lyrics to hopefully connect with people and help them that song and whole album really helped me through the darkest times of my life.
- Last question is “unusual”, we want to know your best relationship advice: I mean communication and honesty is the biggest piece of advice I could give anyone about relationships.